Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Chunkers

cookiechocolatechunker

I wasn't too excited about this week's chocolate chunkers especially after last week's experience with a chocolate based cookie recipe. Oh, what am I saying.. I'm always excited when it comes to baking (just not the cleanup)! The best part about making these cookies was watching the sugar and eggs whip up to double the volume and transform from a yellowish mixture into something pale and fluffy. Even though these were supposed to be chunkers, mine looked more like chocolate crinkles. I ended up omitting the nuts, semi-sweet chocolate chips and added craisins instead of raisins. I know.. these are supposed to be chunkers, but I'm just not too crazy about a higher add-in to cookie ratio. The cookie is the best part, at least to me.. no one ever fights with me for the cookie with the fewest chips! I preferred these cookies better than last week's even though the texture was similar because the wet or soggy quality was gone. Luckily I had a birthday party to go to this weekend or I probably would have had to quarter this week's recipe if that was even possible! Plus I was able to get a lot of valuble feedback from all my taste testers. I always get really nervous with what people have to say, but it's the best way to improve my baking skills. In general, it was agreed that the cookies were moist, but not wet and chewy, but not underdone or gummy = a yummy cookie!

cookiechocolatechunkers (2)

So it doesn't really look like there's anything but cookie, but trust me.. 1 cup of white chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of craisins went into the batter.

Thanks to Claudia of Fool for Food for choosing this recipe, which can be found on her blog and in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From my Home to Yours. Don't forget to checkout the TWD Blogroll!

27 comments:

  1. Did you like them?? I prefer them over the Whoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh....those look great, I love the texture. and the bottom photo, such dark fudgy deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite not being excited about the cookies, I'm glad that you still made them, since they look MARVELOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that rich cookie. Yours definitely have a brownie type quality to them and they are looking mighty inviting!

    I do freeze a lot of my left over cookies. They take only a minute to thaw out and I've never noticed a change in texture. I bake a ton of cookies at Christmas time and thanks to the freezer, I don't have to do it all at once. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours came out just right, fat and fudgy. I'm ready for a break from chocolate cookies too-never thought I'd say that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those came out perfectly Steph. That was one of the recipes I marked down to try when I first got the book. I like the crasin part too :)

    Ya know, I sat and thought about it, and I think I'm in the 'more cookie than add in' camp too. Yup, hooray for the cookie part!

    Oh and that comment you left about the 'arm sit ups' had me cracking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm using craisins was a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, your pictures make me want to take back my remaining three cookies I gave away last night. Personally, I love the add-ins, but I can see the cooking standing on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think those look like the best cookies I've seen yet- I like the cookie better than the filling usually too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so fudge-y looking, I bet they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I reduced the 'add ins' also - I wanted to taste the cookie part. Yours look absolutely amazing - that great crackle-y crusty outside and the fudge-y interior, oh my!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours look perfectly formed! How did you do that?? They look delicious. I am ready for something different besides cookies though as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the picture.. chocolate crinkles? i think they resembled the crackly top of a fudgey brownie more. and they were oh so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours look great without all of the add-ins. Just like a brownie/cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great, although they do look neked inside!!! Yours definitely resemble brownies! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you definitely didn't pack as many add-ins as everyone else, but it looks like you got a more satisfactory cookie to add-in ratio for yourself, so kudos. They look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your photo!! Looks like the perfect cookie to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOOHHHH!!! These look fabulous. All that melty choco goodness. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look perfect! At least you ended up with a photogenic cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look like the perfect chocolate cookie! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pictures! I love the close ups. Your cookies look perfect and, to answer your question, my dome is Luigi Bormoli - from Zellers- $25. The Bormoli name makes a few different kinds but I chose a fairly simple one.
    I hear T.O is getting a Crate and Barrel this month - Yorkville Centre. Sounds like fun! Plus a BB&B, so more choice in the future, we hope.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooo these look delicious! It was the chocolate whopper cookies you found gummy/underdone? When I made them I found them very brownie like (like a really good soft cakey brownie). Though I did just make them again last night and didn't find them to have as good of a texture. I think it might've been because I cooked 2 sheets at a time in my small oven.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how your cookies look so rich and brownie-like...much prettier than my lumpy ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, those look like the oerfect cookies. I'm drooling just looking at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. your cookies look similar to brownies since they have fewer add ins :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummy photograph - I'm slow getting through the whole blog roll. What a great blog. I'll enjoy your posts in the future.
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails