Thursday, September 10, 2009

NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies

cookiecccnyt (2)

Crisp edges, chewy interior, buttery and the perfect thickness (for me at least). These were very, very good. I can't believe I waited so long to try them!

cookiecccnyt

The best part? They weren't just good when they were warm and gooey, but also delicious the next day. I think these cookies retained the crispy edges the longest compared to other recipes I've tried. I also liked that these weren't too soft, but actually chewy. Soft cookies remind me of raw batter and that isn't something I'm too crazy about. Up next, I'm going to try these again with all purpose flour to see if there's a difference. Some people have said it matters, but others say it doesn't. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try. It's really hard to say for sure that these are my favourite. I'm really tempted to have a bakeoff of some of the most popular recipes, but CCCs can be so dangerous!

NYT Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jacques Torres

8 1/2 ounces cake flour (2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
8 1/2 ounces bread flour (1 2/3 cups)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
10 ounces light brown sugar ( 1 1/4 cups)
8 ounces granulated sugar (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds bitterswee chocolate discs or shards
sea salt, for garnish

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5-10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24-36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Scoop six 3 1/2 ounce mounds of dough (large golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18-20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then move cookies onto another rack to cool further. Eat warm.

29 comments:

  1. Another Chocolate Chip recipe! These sound and LOOK fantastic! Thanks for posting the recipe - I can't wait to try them. Love the "make ahead" aspect of them as well! They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! The chocolate chips looks till melted! Dangerous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating that the recipe uses a combination of bread and cake flours! But from your description, it sounds like a PERFECT mix. I haven't made CCCs in a long time (not sure why!) so I'm going to try these. Gorgeous photo, again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually going through and baking my kids one recipe for CCC after another and we are taking notes to determine which is our favorite....these are up next. It's lots of fun and luckily I have three teens because for me these cookies can be VERY dangerous!!
    Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, these are awesome cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We bake alike!! I just posted about chocolate chip cookies too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that they stay crisp the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good chocolate chip cookie but it is even better when they keep their flavor even the next day. I will be giving these a try asap! Your photo has me craving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm always excited by a lovely chocolate chip cookie photo - yours are gorgeous! These look so dangerously, dangerously addictive for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's interesting to combine cake and bread flour. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and they look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookies with crispy edges are my favorite, I love your collection of chocolate chip cookie recipes! A classic that can't be beat :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy chocolate chip cookies, Batman! I need to make me some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to try all of the CCC recipes. I'll have to bake this one. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, another rave for these cookies! I have got to get off my couch and make them soon :) Glad you were a fan - they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still need to try making these! I'm glad you were happy with them. =) I'm not a fan of soft cookies either - like pumpkin cookies that are more like cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this recipe to be too sweet for me and oddly to have too much chocolate in it. Usually more chocolate is a good thing in my world, but not with these. The think I LOVED and have adopted from this recipe is the salt garnish. I use a pink flake salt, but really any salt is such a perfect touch to CCC. Yours look like they turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've said it before (on my blog) and I'll say it again (here)--I LOVE the NY Times CCC! It is my go-to cookie, it's just about the only thing I use cake and bread flour for, so when I do buy some, I do use it! I don't even always chill the dough. It's just a perfect cookie recipe. I HAVE made it with just all purpose flour. It's pretty much the same, but to me, not quite. I have used the recipe for all kinds of fun/different ccc mix-ins, too.
    Yours look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cookies look delicious!!

    I just made these cookies for the first time a few weeks ago, following the recipe to a T--including chilling them for 72 hours and using the Jacques Torres chocolate discs. Let me tell you--having eaten a real JT cookie from his shop in Brooklyn, you MUST try making the cookie with flat discs. What happens is you end up with chocolate strata in your cookie...it is amazing! I'll be blogging about them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have heard about these and often thought about making them. Having the same preferences for chewy - not crisp or soft - these sound like they might be just right. They now need to go into the "must do" file.....

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I dont think Ive seen a more gorgeous choc chip cookie. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm really surprised you didn't change anything. :)

    How's your cake decorating class going? Weren't you taking the another one?
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so good! I have this obsession with finding the best chocolate chip cookie, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I still haven't tried these, Steph! Your photo looks incredibly good and has me wanting to head to the kitchen right now! I've gotta move these up to the top of the "To Try" pile!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look fantastic Steph - picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. you capture the taste and texture with your baking photography. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So these look absolutely delish! Great pick for my 12th cookie for my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!! Could you please let me know which Rookworst you would like to receive?

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are the best cookies. I get rave reviews every time I make them. I use 3xs the vanilla. I also have substituted dark brown for light brown sugar. The cookies look different and have more of a molasses taste. Very good both ways.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails