Monday, March 30, 2009

TWD: Cup Custard...steamed!

custardegg (2)

When this recipe was chosen, I couldn't be more excited. As far as desserts go, I don't think you can find one healthier and quicker to prepare than this one. I missed the deadline, but I just had to make this. I quartered the recipe because when it comes to spoon desserts I can eat embarassingly large amounts. I wouldn't mind drinking 2 1/4 cups of milk, but eating 4 eggs is a little too much. Since I only ended up with 2 6 oz ramekins, I didn't want to bake them in the oven so I steamed them instead. Once my pot of water boiled, I turned the heat down to medium and put the ramekins inside the pot. Having never steamed eggs before, I think I may have oversteamed. The first custard cups I made were really flan-like and eggy, just like most described they were on the P&Q. Since I didn't make the original recipe, I can't complain!

custardegg

I really wanted this to work because I love custard desserts so I tried it again. This time, my mom suggested I add more milk and take them out after 7 minutes. I tried it her way and it worked! These were really smooth and not 'tight'..as in I didn't have to jam my spoon in or as eggy. I think the best part was the texture, but since the ingredients are your basic egg, milk and sugar, it wasn't very rich (but at least it wasn't eggy!). I really enjoyed the steamed version because it was really quick and easy. The only cooking part is steaming for 7 minutes because you don't have to heat the milk as long as everything is at room temperature. Plus, if you mess up, it's only an egg, 3/4 cup milk, and 1.5 tbsp sugar. I couldn't wait for pictures and dug into one while it was still warm.. so just pretend the third ramekin is filled. Actually, when my mom makes it, we usually eat it plain like this without flavouring and warm instead of chilling it in the fridge. I have a feeling most people won't find this rich enough, but I really liked the lightness!

Steamed Custard Cups
My mom's version

makes 3 6 oz ramekins

1 egg, room temperature
1.5 tbsp sugar (or more if you like it sweeter, but I like mine subtly sweet)
3/4 cup milk, room temperature

Boil half a saucepan of water at medium heat.
Whisk egg and sugar together.
Gradually add milk while whisking to ensure suggar is dissolved.
Spoon foam away
Pour egg mixture into ramekins.
Put ramekins into pot for steaming and put a lid on top.
After 7 minutes, take custards out (time depends on size of pot, ramekins and stove). It will be jiggly and you might think it's not cooked, but just take it out when a chopstick inserted comes out clean. It will settle once it cools.

Thanks to Bridget of The way the cookie crumbles for choosing this recipe, which can be found on her blog and here. Don't forget to visit the TWD Blogroll!

21 comments:

  1. Great custard. Great help from your mom in suggesting to add more milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind the egginess in the Dorie custards, but since I'm now a custard convert I'd love to try this version too. I'd love to eat one RIGHT NOW, as a matter of fact! Do you have any left over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love custard desserts and these looks like such a healthy alternative. Thanks a bunch for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better late than never I always say. Steaming custard - that is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like Mom came to the rescue and fixed the problem that so many TWDers had with the recipe. Your custards look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that so reminds me of the "flan" that was oh so popular in taiwan :).

    thank you for sharing! and aren't our mothers so smart in knowing the personality and temperaments of our dishes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yours looks sooooo smooth and delicious! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your custard looks perfect. I love custard, I wouldlove to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to make more custards. I have the dishes for them and never ever use them. How bad is that?
    well, this looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that you enjoyed this, Steph!! I love the modifications that you made, and your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great in the pictures! Not at all like how others described them! Good job on "fixing" them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! I LOVE custard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an interesting recipe. I ve never steamed custard either. These look good so creamy and smooth :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds delicious and nice it wasn't too eggy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your custard looks amazing. Wonderful photos. Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steaming - great idea! This recipe definitely received mixed reviews from the TWD crowd, so I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would never have thought to steam these. That was brilliant. Especially for in the summer time, no heating up the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your custard look just perfect. Love it! You make the best desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Custard works. Yours looks nice and creamy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a clever mom you have. Very cool idea to steam them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails