Thursday, August 20, 2009

Low Fat Fudgy Brownies with See's Chocolates

browniessees (3)

A while ago, Sees Candies kindly sent me 1lb of assorted chocolates. I absolutely loved their toffee crisps. They were so addicting! Initially I was going to bake cupcakes with a chocolate surprise in the centre. On second thought, I realized there would probably be sinkage and gooeyness from raw batter so that was out of the question. Soggy cake really grosses me out so I went with something where I wouldn't have to bake the chocolate. Ingrid inspired me to dress up my 'plain' low fat fudgy brownies so I topped them off with marshmallows and broiled it until it got toasty. Then I added chopped up See's chocolates. Some people are opposed to add ins when it comes to brownies and I'm usually one of them, but this was a fun twist. I really liked the combination of the chocolate chunks, marshmallows and fudgy base because of all the different textures. Plus, when it comes to assorted chocolates, I'm always curious about what they all taste like and have the urge to take a bite out of each of them. By chopping them up into smaller pieces, I can try more flavours at once!

browniessees (6)

Low Fat Fudgy Brownies
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated

3/4 cup (3.75 oz) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 T unsalted butter
2 T low-fat sour cream
1 T chocolate syrup
2 t vanilla
1 egg
1 egg white (I omitted)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (I added)
enough marshmallows to scatter the top
chopped up chocolates

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350.
Fold 2, 12-inch pieces foil lengthwise so each measures 7 inches wide. Fit sheets into 8-inch square pan, pushing foil into corners and up sides of pan (to help remove brownies--optional).
Spray foil or pan with cooking spray.
Whisk dry ingredients together.
Melt bittersweet chocolate and butter in large bowl over a double boiler until smooth.

(This is the part I changed: Add sugar and mix until slightly melted. It will look grainy because there is so little liquid. Add sour cream, syrup, vanilla and whisk, add egg and whisk, fold in dry ingredients until combined)

(The original directions tell you to: whisk in sour cream, syrup, vanilla, eggs, and sugar. Fold in dry ingredients until combined.)

Bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few sticky crumbs attached, 20-25 min.

Scatter marshmallows on top of brownie base and broil until they get toasty/melty. This happens quickly so keep an eye on the oven.

Remove from oven and scatter chopped up chocolates on top. You can press some of them down into the melted marshmallows so they don't fall off when being cut.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

34 comments:

  1. When I clicked on this post, my mind immediately went, "OH wow." These look soo good (and yet so bad for the waistline :D ) MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing, and being they are low fat we can have about 3, no?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm licking my lips over here! Seriously, can you go wrong with brownies topped with candy?? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh, those look so good! *taking notes*

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! That's the only response yo're going to get out of me!! As soon as I saw the picutre, my mouth was left hanging open!! The brownie looks soo good, with the burnt marshmallows, and the candies!! YUm Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those look great and is a very clever combination! I wonder though - if you can still call them "low fat" with the toffee pieces - although maybe the marshmallows balance that out?!

    Very clever and very well done!

    Thanks for sharing!

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  7. low fat brownies with tons of high fat toppings--that's my girl!! LOL I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhm, that's awesome. Seriously. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks totally amazing! How do I get Sees to ship free candy to me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brownies with See's Candy sounds like heaven! (but isn't the low-fat of the brownie cancelled out by the candy? :P )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love add-ins in my brownies. I'd be all over these (even if they are low-fat ;-)).

    I've been hearing so much about See's candies. I really need to look into them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are about the best looking low-fat brownies i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look fantastic :) I love to top them up too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, these look completely decadent and far from being low fat - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos Steph! Your brownies look delicious. I love the idea of sticking marshmallows on them and popping them under the broiler. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very creative, and somehow I don't think these are really low fat anymore!! Beautiful picture.
    peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know I'm ALL over these bad boys! You're gorgeous brownies, Steph!

    I actually promised someone a batch of your low-fat brownies. (dieting) I'm going to make half of the pan plain and other half loaded! YUM!

    Happy Friday & thanks for the shout out!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now there is a STACKED brownie. Man, that just looks amazing on plate, and with less fat so you can dress them up like that.

    I gotta start baking with marshmallows. I've been missing the boat on that, and now I don't want to get stuck at the dock all day :)

    Hope the workouts are still going well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah! you make low-fat look fantastic! I must have a piece of my own :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! And so much healthier with the low fat brownies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Messy Deliciousness! Love the low fat brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm truly sad to find out with these pictures... IT IS MY DEATH YOU WANT!

    I'd kill for those...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love them! I might do this next time I make brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those look SOOOO good! And hey, the healthier bottom balances the toppings, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG! I am drooling. Seriously Steph...amazingly beautiful gooey chocolate with extras.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now that's a loaded brownie!! Does it get any better than that....NO!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Interesting -- I've never tried adding a topping onto a brownie part way through cooking. Smart. I can just imagine the texture of this in my mouth -- gooey and yummy (I know yummy isn't a texture). Never heard of Sees before.

    Now I'm getting distracted by the Chocolate Peanut Butter Marshmellow Bars. Your blog is dangerous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. ohhh yum! these look like trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. ok I am in love with this recipe add ins or not! Either way - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So, I just stumbled onto your blog & I'm drooling!!! I recently started a cooking blog of my own and I'd love to add you to my list of faves, it that's ok? Let me know! I can't wait to try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm not a huge fan of brownies but I'm digging all the fun toppings on this one. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails