Thursday, June 19, 2008

Glazed Lemon Cookies.. Glazeless


When I used to babysit, the kids' mom would buy pillsbury cut and slice cookies and bake them for us to eat. I kind of forgot what they taste like, but remember eating so many of those bunny printed cookies that I would feel a little sick. I came across Cafe Johnsonia where she made cut and slice lemon cookies. Since I still had that little bit of lemon left from my lemon bundt cake (yes.. that long ago) and I got to test out my new food processor, it was perfect.

It may be hard to tell from my picture, but I made half lemon (right) and half lemon-orange-cornmeal (left). I definitely need to improve on picture taking. Most of the time, I have to take the same picture using different settings because there are so many, my hand is shaking or the lighting is all wrong! Anyway, the cornmeal actually added a nice crunch, but also roughness. The cookies were very flavourful and shortbread-like with more of a crunch, but I don't think I'll make them again. Maybe its because I don't like shortbread cookies in general, the absence of brown sugar or the missing glaze. From what I remember, the Pillsbury cookies had more a chew to them, like snickerdoodles or those Tim Horton's 'gourmet' cookies so I think they may be a different kind of slice-and-bake.

This is totally unrelated, but I'm excited for the Wilton cake decorating classes at Michaels I signed up for. Hopefully I can learn some much needed basic cake decorating skills! It amazes me how creative people are with decorating, plating and flavour combinations that I hope will come with time.

The recipe (yes, another CI one) can be found at
Cafe Johnsonia, where there are amazing step by step instructions.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, tasty way to not only use up extra lemon, but to use a new food processor as well - both cookie varieties sound great!

    Those cake decorating classes sound like they'll be fun - enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to take those classes too. You'll have to report how it goes!

    The cookies sound nice. I think I'd like them. I love baking with cornmeal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails