Tuesday, September 30, 2008

TWD: Creme Brulee

IMG_1664

This week's TWD reminded me of the o-so-familar feeling I get on many occasions when I have an assignment due soon and I still haven't started. I almost wanted to skip creme brulee and with no ramekins or a torch, it was as if all the excuses were going my way. Then I realized that blogging is all about trying new things and this was definitely something I've always wanted to try. The best part about this recipe was how quickly it all came together and the easy clean up after. It's nice when you're not faced with a sinkload of dishes waiting to be done and all you want to do is dig into your dessert so that you can make even more dirty dishes.

Since I don't have ramekins, I used a mini oven safe pyrex bowl, which was perfect for my 1/5 version of the original. Rather than turn the oven on for a mini serving, I used the toaster oven. I know.. we have a difficult enough time with figuring out if our regular ovens are accurate and here I am using the toaster oven! With no blow torch, I just sprinkled some brown sugar on top and turned the broiler on. I'm sure this dessert tastes wonderful. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when it's chilled since I started making this 8:00 pm on Mon while watching Gossip Girl (I can't help it, I'm addicted to that show!)

Thanks to Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake for choosing this recipe, which can be found on her blog and in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From my Home to Yours. Don't forget to checkout the TWD Blogroll!

29 comments:

  1. That turned out super, Steph! You gotta get a blow torch - I swear it makes me feel like Rambo in the kitchen!

    Thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Crème Brûlée looks very cute! Did you enjoy it?? I absolutely loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. STUNNING Creme Brulee dessert, Steph!! Nice work!!

    Gossip Girl = guilty pleasure, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks delicious, and I love the idea of using the toaster oven—it uses so much less energy. I think a lot of those kitchen torches are pretty flimsy anyway.

    Sigh, Gossip Girl is so bad and so addictive...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful, Steph! I think I'll sprinkle brown sugar on next time, I have a couple ramekins left in the fridge. And I agree about shopping local. It was a little on the high side, but it's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going to love it! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you made this in your toaster oven! How perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. enjoyed the creme brulee? that looks superb anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT idea to use the toaster oven. I thought I was venturing out into uncharted territory with 2/3 recipe, but I bow before you, making 1/5. Pray tell, how did you do the yolks?
    I'm sure it was delicious!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you attempted this even without the proper tools! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure it's going to be delicious- it looks perfect and the brown sugar sounds just right. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful, so I'm glad you decided not to skip out on this one. And Gossip Girl is a guilty pleasure of mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job! Isn't crème brûlée great for TV?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty impressed that you were able to scale down the recipe that much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you for not skipping like me! I think I'll make this recipe for Thanksgiving break. Or Christmas break. Or both! haha

    BTW, it was Mevrouw Cupcake who chose this recipe, not Bake-en. She was last week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good idea! Toaster oven! Even though I have a torch I wanna try it in my toaster oven! haha.
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great -- seems like the broiler worked just fine. I hope that you love it once you get to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your top looks really good, you'd never know you didn't use a torch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ramekins or not, it still turned out great, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your creme brulee turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love that you used your toaster oven. by the looks of it, it was pretty darn effective...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice, I agree with Dee... Rambo in the kitchen, except you're Canadian and don't kill people with your desserts/guns :)

    Toaster oven... good idea. Remember the Brave Little Toaster? Random, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice looking creme brulee! I used the broiler when I made creme brulee as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're a smart one to only make 1/5 of the recipe. I'm glad you decided to try it... it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, a toaster oven and a 1/5 version! Hope you liked it! BTW, I gave you an award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sooo behind in my Gossip Girl watching. I have 3 episodes on my tivo. I'm too busy baking! :P

    My husband hates the sink full of dishes, since he is ususually the one to do them. With creme brulee there were no complaints!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Steph!! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog, as always. I don't have the WEEK off tohugh; I have the weekEND off, haha ;0)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails